blog-banner-image.jpg

Systems Engineering Blog

In case of a disaster, retrieve backup.

April 17, 2018 | Posted in:

Business Continuity, SE Events, Cloud, SE Data Points, Data Protection, Data Management, IT Strategy

Posted by Mark Benton

blog-data-protection

Are you aware of the amount of data you have? Do you know how to manage your data growth? Do you know how long it will take to recover your critical data and applications in the event of a disaster?

Studies show that 80% of data is unstructured which includes work files like Microsoft Office, Excel, PowerPoint, PDFs, and various media files. The other 20%, known as structured data, is often the critical data in accounting, practice management, manufacturing, and other lines of business applications. The challenge for businesses is to not only maintain enough storage capacity, but to also address data protection and recovery needs.

With the rapid growth in data and the accompanying growth in system complexities, it’s time to take a look at how you are protecting your data and how long recovery will take for your business should something unexpected occur like a ransomware attack, or an office fire. Organizations today are far more likely to experience a data loss due to a cyber-attack than a hardware failure.  At the same time, your customers and employees are looking to do business with you with a decreasing tolerance for disruptions

Two very important factors should be considered when deciding how to protect your business' data:

  • Recovery Time Objectives (RTO): Do you want it to take one minute, one hour, one day, or one month to bring your systems back online in the event of a disaster or attack?
  • Recovery Point Objectives (RPO): Is 24 hours prior to a data loss sufficient or do you need to get data back from 15 minutes prior to the loss of a system?

Whether you are working on a business continuity plan or looking to align data recovery needs and expectations with your budget, decisions need to be made about how various applications and data are protected.

At one of our recent Lunch & Learn events titled Risk Management in the Era of Ransomware, presenters explored how data governance can help you meet your business continuity and information security needs using the Data Protection Pyramid and IT Systems Recovery worksheet. 

Worksheet
To understand the data availability needs of your organization, sign up for a network assessment now by clicking here or on the button below.

Sign Up Now  


MarkBenton72-90d44fccMark Benton, Director or Product Management at Systems Engineering, has over 30 years of experience working with and managing technology. Mark joined Systems Engineering in 2010 and his focus has been to develop and enhance cloud-based and security-based technology products and services.